The Spring Equinox this week marks the start of the new season giving us longer days meaning lighter mornings and evenings – hooray!
A time to celebrate the end of the long winter and the arrival of more life, vibrancy and energy!
Some cultures mark this equinox as the ‘new year’ with celebrations of spring, love and new life as well as setting intentions for the year ahead. Spring is the time to come out of hibenation and embrace catching up with friends and having more energy to be creative and active.
Here are 4 areas with ideas of what you can look at to have a fresh start for spring!
This may be your workspace as well as your home – although it will take a few hours out of your schedule to de-clutter and scrub, the results are well worth the time and hard work. Pay particular attention to keeping your bedroom clean and clear of clutter.
Thinking about de-cluttering your wardrobe, you may find items that you had forgotten about! Clearing your wardrobe can also get rid of clothes that you keep but never wear, giving you more space to clearly see what outfits you can put together – saving you time in the long run. Focus also on drawers and spaces that have become a magnet for clutter and paperwork around the house. Get organised and clear out the old, ready for the new season.
Once you have done a big clean up, keep the spaces clear by spending 10 mins each day – perhaps before bed cleaning and clearing so its managable and doesnt build up over the week
You can expect to feel:
- More focused
ADD MORE FRESH SEASONAL FOODS
Go for vegetables and fruits that you may not always put in your basket to get lots of variety into your diet. Eating seasonally can help you to get the best abundance of nutrients from the plants you are eating too
- Spring greens
- Pak Choi
- Spring onion
- Dandelion leaves
GET MOVING & GET OUTSIDE
With lighter mornings and evenings it does help motivate us to do more with our day. Getting fresh air into your lungs, boost vitamin D and clear your head.
If you’re going to be inside all day, take your breakfast/lunch outside to a sunny place on the good weather days.
Get away from your desk at lunch time – even a 10 minute walk in the fresh air can help to make you feel better/awake and energised
Meet a friend at coffee shop but get take-aways (remember to take your re-usable cup) and walk and talk instead of sitting inside.
At work it may be possible to use walking meetings for 1:1 sessions
- Get up early and walk/cycle to work
- If you catch the bus get off a few stops early so you can walk the final part of the journey
- Set alarms on your computer to get up and move away from your computer screen every hour for a stretch and give your peepers a break from the screen and a chance to hydrate and get the blood flowing
- Try new exercise, it doesnt have to be boring, choose something you enjoy – yoga, rock climbing, dancing, cycling, walking, outdoor swimming (maybe not just yet!)
SET SOME GOALS AND INTENTIONS
I think this is the better time to set your goals and intentions as everything feels more achievable at this time of the year, new year goals in January are probably long forgotten so use the change of the season to re-evaluate what you would like to focus on.
- You may want to choose an event such as a 5/10km run or take part in your 1st Triathlon – this can help to focus your fitness goals if you are working towards an event
- Book some holidays and weekend breaks/treats – keep on top of self care and taking regular time off from your busy schedule
- Every week book some time in your diary just for you – to do something you enjoy – again self care really helps to maintain balance and help us look after ourselves
- Choose 3 new healthy habits you would like to add into your weekly routine – they can be simple things that make the world of difference and give you a starting point to improve your health and wellbeing
Wishing you a happy, healthy and energetic Spring!